Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Herb and Artichoke Bean Salad with Tahini Dressing


The great thing about a bean salad is that you can toss just about anything in there and it tastes great.  My husband and I try to eat several meatless meals a week, so lentils are a staple in our kitchen.  I made this salad for a last minute potluck BBQ at a friends.  I have to be careful these days about my portion size because beans do have carbohydrates, but there are plenty of good things to say about eating lentils if you are insulin resistant.  Legumes are low on the glycemic index, and they contain protein and other essential nutrients.  The high fiber content helps to keep your blood sugar levels from rising too rapidly.     


The Tahini Dressing I made was inspired by a recipe I saw on EatingWell, but I didn't want the sugar in honey and as much as I like garlic, I didn't want to use it for this.  To make the dressing whisk all these ingredients together:

Tahini Dressing:
2 Tb. Tahini
3 Tb. Olive Oil
2 Tb. Fresh Lemon Juice
1 Tb. Apple Cider Vinegar
1 packet of stevia (or other sweetener of choice)



To make the salad, chop up about a cup of fresh herbs.  You can mix it up; I used about 1/2 cup parsley, 3/8 cup basil, and 1/8 cup of mint.  Add the herbs to 1 can drained and rinsed Cannellini beans, 1 can drained and rinsed Adzuki beans, and 1 can of drained quartered artichokes.  Pour the dressing over the salad, chill, and voila!  I used whatever I had on hand; substitute away based on what you have in your house or what's in season.

Bean, Herb, and Artichoke Salad
1 16 oz. can Cannellini beans
1 16 oz. can Adzuki beans
1 16 oz. can quartered artichoke hearts
1 cup of fresh herbs



No comments:

Post a Comment