Thursday, July 28, 2011

Almond Crisp Crackers and Brie


Never thought I'd make my own crackers.  They didn't really seem worth the effort.  However, I've made quite a few batches over the past couple weeks.  Worth the effort.  And turns out, it doesn't require much effort.  Now I can eat my favorite dips again.  Okay, actually, I was still eating the dips.  I just ate them with a spoon, which is not as satisfying as a crunchy cracker.

I originally found a recipe for Almond Thins on the LowCarbFriends.com in a forum, and have seen variations of this recipe all over the web.  I'm not sure where this recipe originated...so if it is yours let me know and I will cite your recipe!

Almond Crisp Crackers
1 cup almond flour
1 egg white
3 Tb fresh rosemary
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
Kosher Salt

Mix all ingredients (except kosher salt) together until you have a uniform "dough."  Place the dough between two pieces of parchment paper and then use a rolling pin to create a thin sheet.  (I wouldn't make them thicker than 1/4".)  Sprinkle the top with kosher salt.  Score the dough into cracker-sized rectangles with a pizza cutter.  Then bake for 12 minutes or so at 350 degrees.




My hubby and I were going to serve this snack when our guests arrived this past weekend.  But, turns out they were a few hours later than they had hoped, so we devoured these crackers with brie and pear slices in a savage manner that was far less elegant than what this particular snack calls for! (I topped the brie with 2 teaspoons of a Crofter's Just Fruit Spread.  It has less sugar than a traditional jam, and just a little goes a long way in this snack.  The crackers are pretty low carb, but I still watch my portions, especially with the pear and the fruit spread.)

Other yummy cracker recipes I have found:
Herbed Almond Crackers from At the Baker's Bench
Sesame Socca Crackers from Healthful Pursuit 

And if you have brie left...first of all, you have stronger will power than I do, and secondly, you could try a delicious looking mushroom brie omlette by Carolyn at All Day I Dream About Food!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my. These crackers look fabulous and love the sound of using the almond flour, too. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog. I am also IR with a few of the other lifestyle diseases that go along with it. Looking forward to trying some of your recipes--especially these crackers.

    ReplyDelete