Saturday, September 3, 2011

Banana Bread Cookies


The other weekend, I was in the mood to bake, but having rid my cabinet of sugar and flour, did not have a cookie recipe on hand to make.  After tinkering in the kitchen during my little girl's entire naptime, I came out with these banana bread cookies.  My goal was to make something yummy, that was grain-free and sugar-free - including sugars like agave and honey.  I wanted them to contain a good amount of protein, and I wanted to share one with my vegan friend.  A lofty goal.   Overall, I found them a satisfying little treat, though they don't taste like a traditional "cookie..."  They are a bit biscuit-y.  If you are not used to the taste of stevia, feel free to substitute with whatever sweetener you prefer!  If I were baking these for others, I'd probably add some agave.
  

Ingredients:

2 1/3 cups almond flour
2 Tb coconut flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 banana, ripe
1/4 c. coconut oil (could substitute butter)
1 tsp vanilla
1 flax "egg" (1 Tb flax plus about 2  1/2 Tb very warm water, left to gel for several minutes)

Directions:
  1. Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl.  
  2. Combine wet ingredients in another bowl.  (Banana, melted coconut oil, vanilla, and "egg.")
  3. Mix the wet and the dry together.
  4. Drop onto a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes.



I whipped up a quick little "frosting" from coconut butter, almond milk, cinnamon, stevia, and vanilla, but to be honest I don't think the cookies needed it.

In my free time...which is sparse now that school's back in session... I sometimes scour the internet and my favorite blogs for recipes to store away, like a squirrel preparing for winter.  Here are a few I have tried or plan on trying:

Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Cookies by Chocolate Covered Katie
Dairy and Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies from Elana's Pantry
Gluten-Free Cashew Chocolate Chip Cookies from Diet, Desert and Dogs  (I love all things with cashews these days...)

Speaking of Diet, Desert, and Dogs I am submitting this recipe to Wellness Weekend!  Check it out for lots of delicious recipes!  Also submitting to Sugar Free Sunday.

3 comments:

  1. These look like the kind of treat that would fill you up, yet is low in fat. Perfect for keeping you away from less healthy afternoon snacks. Glad you posted this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouu I bet these will make great tea cookies. Awesome share for this week's Sugar Free Sunday - Thx!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Question...I was wondering instead of using almond flour and coconut flour could you just use one or the other? I'm just starting to get into cleaner baking and still learning. Never realized that there is a bit of "science" behind recipes and baking. ;-)

    ReplyDelete